We know you don’t want to miss a beat during SXSW, so we compiled a list of central, budget-friendly fast food joints and restaurants in Austin that can’t be missed.
1. Sushi Zushi. Located within walking distance of all the events that’ll flood Austin over the next week, this spot on W. 5th Street serves up some of the city’s freshest sushi. They also have convenient hours, so whether you’re stopping in for a quick lunch or a relaxing late-night dinner, Sushi Zushi will most definitely be open and ready to serve you.
2. 1886 Café & Bakery. If you’re looking to take a load off during the whirlwind of activities, enjoy a delicious sit-down meal at the café inside The Driskill Hotel. Open for breakfast, lunch, dinner and brunch (pretty much all day long), the menu boasts irresistible comfort foods like Texas toast bread pudding, chicken fried steak and shrimp and grits.
3. Burger Bar. Right in the heart of downtown, this walk-up window at the JW Marriot serves some of the city’s freshest burgers, savory fries and satisfying shakes. The menu is simple and budget-friendly, making it an excellent spot for quick dining between all the SXSW happenings.
4. Torchy’s Tacos. In addition to the brick and mortar shops throughout the city, there’s also a Torchy’s Tacos truck conveniently parked just a few blocks south of downtown. Whether it’s early morning fuel before hitting SXSW or a late night bite when things are winding down, consider The Democrat and Mr. Orange tacos and their signature grilled street corn when placing your order. Don’t forget to wash down your scrumptious meal with an ice-cold Topo Chico!
5. Hopdoddy. The line is often out the door at their shop on famous South Congress Avenue, but the wait is worth it – we promise!Our founder Lauren raves about the Goodnight/Good Cause burger not only because it’s stacked with cheddar cheese, hickory BBQ sauce and jalapenos, but also $1 of each burger sold is donated to a local charity. Make sure to pair your burger with their out-of-this-world truffle fries.
6. Houndstooth Coffee. The friendly staff at this downtown coffee house in the Frost Tower building (the one shaped like an owl) on 4th Street and Congress Avenue makes a mean latte. And they serve fresh pastries every morning, which happen to be some of the best sweet treats in town. So make sure to stop by their sleek shop to get your caffeine and food fix before hitting the streets. This is Lauren’s work away from work spot, so you may catch her there during SXSW!