The best thing about Chili is that it requires about 30 minutes of your effort and a crockpot. There are quick chili recipes that you can make in about 30 minutes, or what I recommend is prepping it in the morning before work and letting it slow cook all day. Yes, this will take a bit longer, but it will be so worth it as you create about 6-8 servings.
I can’t get enough of it! I always wanted to be the person in the office that slow cooked a chili throughout the day at my desk just so at lunch time, I could pour a hearty bowl and then when I got home, could continue eating the same pot. Must be the pioneer in me that thinks about traveling with a pot of chili. :-p
So here’s the Chili pick today brought to you by Chowhound. The photo is Chowtastic, literally taken by.
Unstocked Pantry: $4-$5 per serving
Stocked Pantry: $1.80 per serving
For the chili:
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 medium yellow onions, medium dice
- 1 medium red bell pepper, medium dice
- 6 medium garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt, plus more as needed
- 1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (14-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 (15-ounce) cans kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped pickled jalapeños or green chiles, drained
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Thinly sliced scallions
- Sour cream
Let us know if you give this a try at home! Tweet us @StretchRecipes
If you’re in Austin, let us know if you want chili on the menu for Alice in Winter Wonderland #SRAWW2015 Be sure to grab your tickets today!