When it comes to cooking, seasoning your food is most definitely a priority. So we’re here to share five spices we absolutely love! From salty to spicy to zesty, these added flavors would make any dish you whip up delicious.
Go ahead and make sure your pantry is stocked with these spices!
1. Turmeric: This earthy, flavorful spice is so versatile that it perfectly complements a hearty curry dish and even a breakfast quiche. Best of all, it’s rich in iron, potassium and dietary fiber and has been shown to boost immunity and balance out cholesterol levels.
2. Cinnamon: We’re all familiar with this popular spice, but did you know that it helps to control blood sugar and reduce the risk of heart disease? So the next time you make that perfect batch of French toast, muffins or oatmeal, add a couple extra dashes of cinnamon to the mix to get the most out of this nourishing spice.
3. Ginger: Sprinkle into cooked rice or sautéed vegetables to add some zest to your dish. Consuming ginger treats nausea, dizziness and cramps as well as reduces swelling throughout the body, making it an excellent spice to keep stocked in your pantry.
4. Cayenne: Its intense heat level means that a little bit goes a long way, so make sure to only use a dash when you’re cooking up soup or chicken. Don’t let the spiciness scare you away though, you’ll benefit from adding cayenne to your meals because it gets the digestive tract moving and detoxifies the body by stimulating the circulatory system.
5. Cumin: The strong aromatics of this spice make it an excellent addition to warm chili or a spice rub for meat. It’s also a good source of calcium and iron, which increases metabolism and aids the digestion process.
Check out some Stretch recipes that use these seasonings:
- 3-Bean Chili
- Blackened Chicken
- Vegan Sweet Potato Chorizo
- Spicy Peanut Sauce
- Three Sisters Soup
- Apple Crisp